The 5 top class golf courses in Sotogrande, three of which were designed by Robert Trent Jones, are considered amongst the most prestigious in Spain and even in the world: Valderrama (956-791200) www.valderrama.com, host to the 1997 Ryder Cup and the home of the European Volvo Masters; La Cañada (956-794100) and the Real Sotogrande Golf Club (956-785014) www.golfsotogrande.com, both with beautiful views out over the Mediterranean; as well as La Almenara (956-582000) and La Reserva (956-695208), not to mention other courses nearby.
Sotogrande has also been home to international polo for decades. With 12 polo fields already hosting top level championships, new fields at the planning stage, and a fully equipped equestrian centre operating all the year round, no other place in the world offers better opportunities to watch or participate in this spectacular sport.
Sotogrande provides excellent facilities for all tennis players from novices to professionals. The El Octogano Tennis Club is just 5 minutes walk from the apartment and has paddel courts in addition to hard surface and clay tennis courts. A clubhouse and bar is available for refreshments after your game. The staff are very welcoming and lessons are bookable via the club. A second tennis club (El Cucurucho) is around 5 minutes drive away.
For serious sailors, Sotogrande marina is ideally situated – here you can enjoy the beauty of both the Mediterranean and the nearby Atlantic Ocean. With berths of up to 50m and some of the best amenities on the Costa del Sol, the puerto together with the adjacent Marina form one of the most attractive complexes for yachtsmen and visitors alike.
GC32 RACING CATAMARAN TOUR COMES TO SOTOGRANDE FOR FIRST TIME
From 22 to 25 September 2016. Please visit www.gc32racingtour.com
The apartment is ideally located for many sporting activities and all those detailed below are within 5-10 minutes drive:
- Horse riding via the Centro Hipico stables (956-794474)
- Tennis at the Club de playa El Octogono (959-453444) and the Sotogrande Racquet Club (956-796233)
- Kayaking ,canoeing, windsurfing and sailing at the marina watersports school(956-610087)
- Cycling/mountain biking is very popular on the quiet trails in the hills behind the marina
- Health and beauty spas at the Sotogrande Sports Club at The Almenara Hotel (956-582000)
- Watch world class polo at the Santa Maria Polo Club (956-610112)
- Sotogrande marina also has two nature reserves nearby with marked walkways
- Skiing – Yes – Skiing is possible this far south! The ski slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains are approx. 2.5 hrs drive. The best months to ski are January to March.